Friday, October 18, 2013

Cook's Country

Cook's CountryI started reading "Cook's Country"s predecessor, "Cook's Illustrated" by browsing through it in the grocery store line. I liked it so much I subscribed to it--a first for me, since I usually consider cooking a chore rather than a pleasure. I cook because I like to eat, and the take-out restaurants up where I live are crummy, fattening, and expensive. The editors of "Cook's Illustrated" explained everything, even down to the basics of chopping an onion, which is exactly what I needed.

Now these same editors have come up with what I think is an even more useful magazine in "Cook's Country," (six issues a year) as the recipes appear to be even simpler--I guess that's where the 'Country' in the title comes in, as the editors use words like 'homey' and 'family-style' in describing their new endeavor. Those two descriptors usually signal 'easy to make.' It also seems to me that this new magazine is in direct competition with its predecessor, "Cook's Illustrated." Personally, I'm going to drop my subscription to "Cook's Illustrated" and keep "Cook's Country." The only thing I don't like about it is its awkward size (12"x10") which will make it hard to file.

On the other hand, it lies open very nicely, so I won't have to hold it to the right page by propping tea kettles and pickle jars on it.

The recipes in the first issue include steak fries, zucchini bread, and making up your own Shake 'n Bake (!). The Departments are listed as: "Recipe Contest" (Picnic Salads); "Lost Recipes" (Monkey Bread); "Recipe Makeover" (Macaroni and Cheese); "Slow Cooking" (Boston Baked Beans); "Fun Food" (Marshmallow Desserts); "Dressing Up" (Split Chicken Breasts); "For Your Convenience" (Salad Bar Stir-Fry); "Easier Than You Think" (Blue-Ribbon Fudge); "Getting to Know" (Tomatoes); "On the Side" ('Doctored' Applesauce); "Food Shopping" (Salad Dressing); "Equipment Roundup" (Blenders).

I've been looking for a good macaroni and cheese recipe that doesn't pack as many calories as my current one (1,118 calories per serving!), so I'm definitely going to give the "Cook's Country" recipe a go. Supposedly a main-course serving of the reduced-fat version only contains 493 calories. That is a big difference for a little fussing around with extra ingredients (skim ricotta cheese).

However I think I'll give this month's 'Fun Food' a skip (Marshmallow confetti kebabs--ugh).

"Cook's Country" might not attract gourmet chefs to its pages, but it's just the type of 'cook by number' magazine I've been looking for.

P.S. I can vouch for the 'Shake and Bake' Pork Chop recipe and the Creamy Shells with Peas and Bacon recipe. Both are easy and yummy.

My mother-in-law discovered this magazine while she was visiting and showed it to me. Neither one of us subscribes to any cooking magazines though we both collect recipes like fiends. However, we have both decided to make this magazine one of two we will be subscribing to (the other being Penzey's ONE). the layout is friendly and easy to read, the articles are informative without being obnoxious, and the ratings categories are great (latest edition did chef's knives and lemonades). Also very helpful is the back cover it lists all the recipes and what page they are on, as well as showing some pictures. Great for when you're looking for a specific one and don't want to have to page through the magazine to find it! The recipes are such that an inexperienced cook would have no difficulty but an experienced cook would still enjoy preparing them. All-in-all, a great magazine!

Buy Cook's Country Now

I agree entirely with "starmoth". I subscribed to Cooks Illustrated and although it was beautiful and interesting the recipes were just a little over the top for me. I really like the kind of comfort food approach in Country Cooking but I also find the size a little awkward. If you really like macaroni and cheese and stew you'll love this magazine.

jeremy

Read Best Reviews of Cook's Country Here

The few low reviewers about Cook's Country seem confused by this magazine's commitment to simple home cooking, and some of them have asked, "Why bother? Isn't that what Cook's Illustrated is all about?"

Well, yes and no. Cook's Illustrated, in my observation, is geared far more to the urban or East Coast food lover, someone with a spouse or partner but no, or grown, children, and someone who entertains (as in "has dinner parties") with some frequency. The recipes are indeed simple and turn out beautifully, but they're not exactly the sort of thing most families would tackle on a Tuesday night.

Cook's Country, on the other hand, seems to have as its demographic the home cook with a spouse and kids to feed, and whose parties run to the "child's birthday" or "backyard BBQ" or "family Thanksgiving" type occasions. It's just as accessible, interesting, and smart as Cook's Illustrated, but with a down-home, Midwest vibe. Think of CC as Vermont-dwelling CI's cousin from Topeka.

Ultimately, the buyer should decide based on lifestyle which magazine is more practical. If your cooking is geared toward dinners for two and cocktail parties (or if you plan on buying this as an aspirational exercise but don't intend to make any of the recipes) by all means, subscribe to Cook's Illustrated. But if you are looking for inspiration for delicious weeknight dinners and simple family celebrations while juggling Susie's oboe lessons and Billy's tae kwon do class, look no further than Cook's Country.

Want Cook's Country Discount?

I not only enjoy cooking and eating, I like reading about food, including a close perusal of every issue of _Cook's Illustrated._ And as a charter subscriber, I took advantage of their offer of a free copy of the premiere issue of this new sister publication. Even though I have considerable respect for Christopher Kimball's editorial abilities, I think he's made several serious errors this time. The idea is to give coverage to "country food," by which he appears to mean home-cooking. "It's not about fancy cooking or expensive restaurants or foods with names you can't pronounce." But isn't that exactly the philosophy behind _Cook's Illustrated?_ Every dish deconstructed and reinvented in the original magazine is also home-cooking. That's exactly why I enjoy it, why I end up trying at least half the recipes in each issue. Also like CI, this magazine analyzes in depth a relatively few recipes -the first issue includes pot roast, chocolate pudding, fried chicken, and green beans, among others -and follows the method of testing-to-destruction to discover which variations and options really are the best. There's also a "Mystery Tool" column and a kitchen-questions page and a couple of consumer advisory sections (this time it's the best bottled Italian salad dressing and the best slow cooker). The main differences are the inclusion of a section of tear-out recipe cards in the center of the magazine, à la _Family Circle,_ and an excessively cutesy-homespun design sense. Also a couple of pages of readers' kitchen memories, both good and bad. They also use color throughout the magazine, unlike Cook's Illustrated. So why publish this new title when most of the contents seem to be simply overflow from their flagship publication? And -perhaps the greatest error, in my opinion -someone decided this magazine should be published in a 10" by 12" format. It's much too tall to fit on the shelf with my copies of _Cook's Illustrated_ and _Gourmet_ and most of my cookbooks. I hate that.

Save 33% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment