Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Arts & Crafts Homes (2-year)

Arts & Crafts HomesJust got the premiere issue of Arts & Crafts Homes, a new magazine from the same folks who make Old House Interiors. Several things recommend it over American Bungalow, which I do also enjoy better quality printing and sharper photographs; far better typography and better laid-out pages (in fact, generally better art direction than most home magazines, and more sensitivity to the subtleties of type); a wider range of subject material they are not quite as orthodox as Style 1900 and American Bungalow; and a better article-to-ad ratio. Of course, that last one could simply be a symptom of this being the firsts issue, so I'll have to keep reading to find out if it stays true.

It's definitely worth picking up a copy; the current issue has extensive articles on Chicago bungalows, new work from a California artisans guild (including Debey Zito) and lots (really!) more.

(from

I was enthusiastic about subscribing to Arts & Crafts Homes magazine, as well as another home magazine (Old House Journal) at a reduced price through Amazon. It is clear to me at this point, however, that these prices are a device to get rid of back issues. Both magazines have filled half of my one year subscription with an initial mailing of back issues. I am NOT happy! I would have liked to have known what I was actually buying before purchasing these subscriptions.

Buy Arts & Crafts Homes (2-year) Now

I ordered this magazine through Amazon in Sept., expecting my subscription to start in Oct./Nov.with the current Fall issue. On 10-07-09, I received the Fall issue and the two issues preceding it! Since I already had them, I called the number listed here and told them that I thought I was paying for the current issue and the ones following it. I was told the subscription included previous issues and I pointed out the listing does _not_ say that and that I already had them. I was finally told I would be credited for the two and would now get the three to follow the current issue they sent. When I tried to get an email confirming this, the first response said my order would include the previous issues again! A second claimed it was now taken care of but still no direct confirmation that my subscription is supposed to end up to/and including the Summer 2010 issue.

Be aware that Amazon's own magazine help page states that magazines you order are supposed to start with the current issue depending on the company's mailing cycle and when they get your order, _nowhere_ does it state they can send you _back issues_ to satisfy your subscription order. Per Amazon..."Once you've placed an order, it takes one to two weeks for your subscription to be received and scheduled by the publisher. Your subscription is then added to the publisher's next production cycle and shipped via standard mail. For example, if your monthly subscription was ordered and received by the publisher in November, and the December issue has already shipped, your order may be added to the January mailing."

I won't be ordering this magazine again after this subscription runs out. Aside from finding it to be mostly ads and not nearly as comprehensive as American Bungalow (or even Style 1900), the fact that the parent company tried to complete half my order with unsold back issues(that they were apparently trying to unload) and the poor customer service means to me that they are _not_ interested in keeping the business of new customers.

Read Best Reviews of Arts & Crafts Homes (2-year) Here

See reviews by Moonheart & Rasmussen. This magazine company sent me 4 issues at same time in orer to fulfill one year subscription. Back issues were sent by company. I have many mag subs thru Amazon & all handled smoothly. Arts & Crafts Homes operates in fraudalent manner. DO NOT ORDER SUBSCRIPTION W/ THIS MAG.

Want Arts & Crafts Homes (2-year) Discount?

Just got my first copy, was fairly disappointed due to the large amount of advertising and small amount of content about Homes. What was pictured was beautiful. I will give it another chance but at this point would not recommend it for someone like myself who is looking for practical ideas to bring their home into the Arts and Craft style.

Save 48% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment