Monday, August 26, 2013

Women's Health (1-year auto-renewal)

Women's HealthI've been a reader of Women's Health (1-year) off and on for many years and have given some thought as to the best way to characterize the magazine for potential buyers. Here's essentially what you get in every issue of the mag:

-updated and interesting FITNESS information

-WEIGHT LOSS information/tips

-HEALTH information pertaining to women

-NUTRITION information for better health

-information on having a better SEX life

Note that some of the words are captialized. Well, they represent the main topics that you'll be reading about in this magazine. So, if you're looking for the latest info on any of these kinds of topics, it's worth your time to check it out. Also recommend The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution for women suffering from plantar fasciitis.

My boyfriend ordered subscriptions to Men's and Women's health (for himself and for me, respectively) about six months ago. It didn't take me too long to figure out that women's health could be more aptly titled "men's health lite" i.e., a similar magazine with significant alterations (read: reductions) in reading level, scientific basis, and practicality.

The editors of these magazines seem to think that men seek scientifically-sound, medically proven facts for nutrition and exercise physiology, while women are looking for cheesy motivation and advice about lipstick colors.

If you want fluff, you might as well save the money and buy one of the less expensive women's 'health' mags (Self, Fitness, etc.); if you want more substantial content, try Men's Health. (Which niche Women's Health fulfills, then, seems unclear.)

save your money!

Buy Women's Health (1-year auto-renewal) Now

Unlike many female oriented magazines this one has some fine advice on health, fitness & exercise. You won't find destructive over the top dieting tips that could make you very ill & it is not overloaded with ads like "Oxygen, Shape, & Self." For those of us who want overall fitness, cross training, interesting recipes, & new outdoor activities to try this magazine is the best one out there. Even for all of us middle aged gals trying to get back some of our youthful health & appearance. Also, if you are into weight training, I would try a muscle magazine for that. WH is not that big on that subject. The main negative is some of the departments keep changing their formats & some articles can be as little as one paragraph. But, on the whole it still is better than its competitors.

Read Best Reviews of Women's Health (1-year auto-renewal) Here

I only recently picked up on this magazine and so I feel behind the times. What is possibly ironic is that for the last couple of years I would pick up the occasional copy of Men's Health because I felt that I was finally getting up to date articles on FDA approved diets, foods, vitamins and other health related OTC drugs, as well as updated fitness routines. Thankfully the same information can be found and how it relates to a woman's system here.

I've also read the one and two star reviews of the magazine and the reviews that condemn this magazine and touted 'Shape' instead left me scratching my head. I had a subscription for several years to 'Shape' in college and ultimately turned my back on it as I found it to be superficial featuring a famous thin model/celebrity who was never particularly known for their athletic ability as the big selling point. It also bothered me that every other ad was for a magic diet pill/supplement that was eventually done away with after an expose on some news program listing a litany of problems.

A health magazine should be about health: getting it and keeping it and warn the public against a quick fix. I also like to see exercise and fitness emphasized more heavily than fashion. Which is exactly what I got here. Ultimately I want to be healthy and feel good for a long, long time. I also want to keep up to date on current methods for maintaining this goal. I really believe I get current and effective information and advice here. Other women's health/fitness magazines felt to me more like they were compeating with Cosmo and Glamour type magazines.

Want Women's Health (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

If you're looking at ordering this magazine because you've been reading your boyfriend's Men's Health, really enjoyed the work-out and health tips, and you said to yourself "Huh they make a version for women, I should order it." DON'T! Reading Women's Health is like reading Cosmo, filled with celebrities, causal language and make-up tips (not to mention advice for men probably gleaned from Men's Health so that you can surprise your boyfriend?). Don't waste your time on this vapid stuff.

Save 70% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment