Thursday, December 5, 2013

Family Tree Magazine (1-year)

Family Tree MagazineI really love this magazine because, first of all, I love Genealogy! And this magazine is a great source of information whether you are just starting out on your family search or if you've been hitting the archives for years.

And it is WEB oriented which is just what I'm looking for as I do a lot of research online. Family Tree Magazine always has new or important search tips. I learned to check characteristics of old photos for clues in narrowing a search for birth years when you don't have an exact date. Then I looked in the census for years around that time period to find the person I was looking for.

Family Tree Magazine has been a high-quality and useful tool for years in my genealogy research, but in the last months, there has been a clear decline in quality. Some of the articles have been poorly written, inaccurate, and even misleading, especially to those new to family research who are using Family Tree as a resource. They seem to be either choosing writers who are not expert in the articles' subjects, or their copy editors are inattentive or not suited for their jobs. As just a few examples, in recent issues the magazine has told me about about Civil War soldiers being "in a calvary," instead of a cavalry -a big difference!--, and that "the daguerreotype was still common during the 1960s,"--just 100 years off! In a current issue, an article about identifying old photos, never mentions ambrotypes, a common and popular photo method in the 1850s, and in the "1860" section, when the tintype was used and carried by thousands of Civil War soldiers because it had no glass, this dominant photo method is never mentioned at all.

Someone at Family Tree needs to take care of business, get the copy editors to work, and pay attention to quality to avoid the magazine from slipping even further in usefulness and reliability.

Buy Family Tree Magazine (1-year) Now

In all, I enjoy Family Tree Magazine as it is chock-full of interesting stories, tidbits and helpful tips for your genealogy research some of which are very creative and will help you further along in your genealogical quest.

My only gripe (and it's one that keeps me from regularly patronizing the magazine) is that the vast majority of their articles (I'd say a good 98%) focus on people whose ancestors were from the British Isles and Germany. While I realize the sheer number of those people compose the majority of the American population (for now), it leaves me, as a reader, feeling left out in the cold because I don't share that ancestry.

Useful tips can be carried over to whatever country your ancestors emigrated from but there are an increasing amount of people researching (or who would like to research) Southern and Eastern European ancestry so why not include us (no matter how scant the records may be?).

In all, though, Family Tree Magazine is an enjoyable and informative read and contains articles worth saving in every issue. Donna Di Giacomo

Read Best Reviews of Family Tree Magazine (1-year) Here

I love this magazine and have had a subscription for three years now. I always find some tidbit in each magazine that helps me with a brick wall that I have hit while researching my ancestors. It is, also, a very easy and quick read. I will not let this subscription expire!

Want Family Tree Magazine (1-year) Discount?

This is one of the best Genealogy magazines. It has been an immense help for new leads to information and how too's. A very good resource for all new and seasoned genealogists or family historians.

Save 36% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment