Friday, April 25, 2014

Organic Gardening (2-year)

Organic GardeningI subscribed to Organic Gardening decades ago when the magazine was digest size, printed on non-glossy paper, and jam packed with in-depth, substantive articles that took hours to read and even longer to think about. Now I can read the entire magazine in a brief sitting, and rarely find much to mull over afterward. It's departed from its origins as an intelligent publication focusing on the precepts and practicalities of growing organically, in favor of pandering to the attention-challenged reader who can't--or won't--concentrate on anything beyond quick bytes and pretty pictures. In short, it's abandoned a grown up approach for that of a little child's picture book without much content. I may or may not renew my subscription when it expires in another year. The few interesting bits that crop up--surprisingly--from time to time may keep me engaged. We'll see what the next year brings.

I've received the magazine for a few years and its pretty good. Not so much groundbreaking, but some interesting articles. But I give it one star because of new policies in place. I got a pretty nasty letter from the "Rodele Credit Department" (the publisher of OG) with harsh phrases like "in an attempt to collect this debt...", "to give you a chance to resolve this matter before it goes further...". "You must respond to this letter to resolve this matter." I thought, wow, this is how you ask me to renew my subscription? Using strong-arm tactics for renewal of a Green Magazine? This is unexpected. I'm feeling bullied.

Talking to their customer service today, twice, they freely admit that customers are slammed into auto-renewal if they don't respond saying "no" to something I don't even remember receiving. Then they are threatened with collection procedures for not paying "what I already owe". Yuk! Double yuk! This can be straightened out with a phone call, and they say they won't ding my credit report for "non-payment", they allowed me to "cancel". But who needs this? Who wants a magazine that wants to add stress to my life?

Come on Rodele, clean up your act please. Treat us with dignity and courtesy and we'll be loyal customers. Hazing and threatening us is not the experience we're looking for.

Buy Organic Gardening (2-year) Now

This is a pretty decent magazine for organic gardeners. It is rather thin though. I haven't found myself needing some of the info given, but other articles have been useful. This of course makes sense because we all grow different things! There are articles that aren't related to gardening. For example, the issue of organic & non organic milk. I think this would relate more to an issue on farming not gardening. Plus it wasn't even about raising your own cows, it was about factory cows, milk in the store. Anyway, it's a decent source for the beginner. The best resource out there is the Rodales Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. It is simply PACKED with useful information.

Read Best Reviews of Organic Gardening (2-year) Here

So far I am dissatisfied with the format change in this magazine. I agree with other reviewers that I find fewer useful articles that describe techniques I can use in my own garden. They seem to have expanded the cooking/recipe sectionthis doesn't impress meif I wanted recipes, I would subscribe to a cooking magazine specific to the kind of food I like to cook.

Want Organic Gardening (2-year) Discount?

Love the magazine but the customer service is not to my liking. Right

at this moment the "contact customer service" feature is not working

online. I cannot send them an email.They have made a mistake with my bill and I want to talk to someone. There is no number available to talk to a real person.I did contact customer service earlier and got

back what seemed to be some pre-programmed answer that did not help

me and that I was not able to forward a response to. They also have

an automatic renew feature that you have to be careful about. I was

able to cancel this feature with no problem.Love the magazine. Poor

rating because of customer service(it's just a magazine!). I can go

to the library. I have 2 subscriptions and I will not renew.

Save 50% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment