Friday, May 23, 2014

Knitters

KnittersI've been knitting most of my life and have subscribed to this magazine for over 4 years. Each issue has a theme--cable patterns, stripes, unisex sweaters, colors, knitting for children, etc. I find that even if the theme doesn't interest me, the magazine is always worth perusing. Each issue includes a "how to" section that will satisfy even the most experienced knitters. Articles have covered knitting in darts, reversible cables, and several aspects of designing. Recently the magazine was improved by listing yarn weights as well as the original yarns used in the patterns, which makes substitutions much easier. Most of the patterns are sweaters in classic styles with a few modern designs thrown in. While not in every issue, there have been many children's sweaters included. Issues often include other items, such as hats, scarves, shawls, Christmas ornaments & decorations, purses, socks, gloves and mittens. The magazine has also featured several "great American afghans," providing a few block designs in each magazine. This is no granny-square afghan pattern. All patterns I have tried have been easy to follow, providing both written instructions and graphs.

I love this magazine for 3 reasons:

1) Most of the patterns have plus sizes, at least to 1X, but often 2X and 3X as well.

2) Patterns are designed to minimize sewing. Sweaters are usually knit in the round, and cardigan bodies are knit in one piece.

3) There's always a new technique or two featured. I learned how to do several advanced techniques from this magazine (e.g. entrelac, mosaic knitting, double-knitting), including some lesser known ones such as brioche patterns where multiple long yarn-over stitches are worked into eyelets within the lacework of the rows below ("Stripes à L`Orange" in issue K75 which you can preview on their web site the stitch pattern looks like maple leaves!).

Buy Knitters Now

I particularly love the format of patterns presented in the magazine--easy to follow, helpful sidebar with all the key info, and well written. They are presented just like in Sally Melville's Knit Stitch and Purl Stitch books, which I love (XRX publishes both the magazine and those books).

I find that there are many "how to" articles that help me as an advanced beginner/early intermediate knitter. Again, the instructions are clear, as are the accompanying graphics/photos. I am holding on to the articles that cover more advanced techniques, and will go back to them once I think I'm ready.

The only downside to this magazine for me is that there tend to be few patterns that I want to knit. This is purely a matter of taste; I highly recommend going to their website and checking through the archives to get a feel for the patterns. That said, the few I have made from Knitter's have been among my favorite items I've knit. I just made a sweater ("Swing Set") for my picky daughter from last fall's Knitter's, and she adores it. The whole process went smoothly from start to finish, and I love the results.

Lastly, I like the fact that this magazine offers a wide range of complexity levels in their patterns. There are always plenty of choices for knitters like me, who aren't up to anything too complex. I've tried Interweave Knits as well, and find that their patterns are mostly way too complex and intricate for me (also, the pattern format is difficult to follow, in my opinion). I only wish the patterns in Knitter's fit better with my personal style more often!

Read Best Reviews of Knitters Here

"Knitters" is my all around favorite knitting magazine. I've been reading it almost since the beginning and am a current subscriber. "Knitters" designers are some of the most knowledgeable creative in the business, and the patterns in each issue range from simple to complex. The designs may not be quite as trendy as those in "Vogue Knitting" (sometimes that's a plus) but they're generally stylish, wearable, and pleasantly challenging to knit. Each issue has a mix of articles that treat the featured techniques in depth and that deal with more general topics. I'm not an expert knitter by any means, but the projects I've done from "Knitters" have given me a much better understanding of the craft and a sense that I can successfully tackle projects that would have been too complex before. "Knitters" is a magazine that encourages me stretch my knitting muscles in a way that the other magazines don't.

Want Knitters Discount?

While sometimes the designs in this knitting magazine are a bit wacky, the knitting know-how and articles on the craft are great. Even better, the photos, which are absolutely incredible. The new editor, Rick Mondragon, has come into his own and produced some really fine issues with many exciting projects small and large to knit. And Knitters sponsors the annual Stitches East, West, and (maybe still) Midwest conventions, where you can meet the designers, take classes and buy yarn at the Market. It's almost a cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment