Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hobby Farms (1-year auto-renewal)

Hobby FarmsI have subscribed to Hobby Farms magazine for the past three years and enjoy every issue cover to cover! The articles are written so those with little to no experience can understand and use them as well as those with more experience may learn helpful hints they might not have known or sources and facts newly available. Though corrections may be added or information post scripted to an article(as one of the reviewers mentioned), this is a strength in my eyes not a weakness! A magazine should not spend its time and space trying to encompass every single detail possible. Instead it should give readers enough information to gain a basic foundation and a beginning guide or helpful tips for along the way on a hobby farmer's journey and this magazine does a wonderful job! From "How to" articles to "Did You Know" write-ups complete with web site and book reference information for further exploration to full color pictures, if you own or dream of one day owning a Hobby Farm, this magazine is for you!!

Hobby Farms draws you into their 'meaty' articles with good photos and clear writing. The articles aren't just fluffthey present usable info that helps you succeed on small scale raising-your-own-food acreages.

Buy Hobby Farms (1-year auto-renewal) Now

I subscribed to this publication after I purchased a copy locally. After two issues I am ready to cancel. I need info and ideas to help me farm. There is a heavy emphasis on livestock, which I do not have. The actual farm production articles are brief, superficial and lacking in technical data. The pictures are pretty, but I don't need recipes, pet photos and other nonsense. The info in this mag is not as good as your average organic garden mag, and certainly not much help for a serious farmer. If you farm for tax reasons or just want a cheaper version of Country Living, you may like it. If you don't and you really need to make money farming, try Acres. It's a bit "out there" sometimes but you will get solid info from real farmers like Joe Salatin.Acres U.S.A.

Read Best Reviews of Hobby Farms (1-year auto-renewal) Here

I subscribed to Hobby Farm and after reading two issues I cancelled it.

I read an article in the March/April issue about show birds. Then, I got my May/June issue. Don Schrider, the Communication Director of ALBC, wrote in to correct the story. The article claimed "over 1000" birds at the show, the correction was 11,640 birds were present. The other correction was regarding earlobe color and egg shell color stating there are exceptions to the red earlobe/ brown eggs white earlobes/white eggs.

In the Mar/Apr issue I read an article about Guinea hens. In the May/June issue I read another letter from a reader (Dana Manchester a member of the Guinea Fowl Breeders Assoc.) correcting the article in the previous issue. Apparently, Guineas aren't the "watch fowl" they are portrayed to be, but fall victim to predation often. Dana Manchester also corrected the mislabeled photos of Guineas.

These may be small errors but how goods is a resource that isn't reliable?

If errors were the only issues, I may have given the mag 3 stars but the article on manure management in the May/June issue was lacking on many levels. The advise in a nutshell was buy a manure spreader that you can pull around your field, fill'er up and drive. One word of caution according to the articleonly use well rotted manure in the garden, but there wasn't one word on how to rot manure.

I liked the article about smaller breeds of cattle, "Bigger is Not Better" May/June but we'll have to wait for the next issue to see if any readers step forward with corrections.

I am not waiting around.

There are a lot books and magazines dedicated to small farms. I like Mother Nature News and I just subscribed to Countryside (my nephew recommended it he owns a small farm, as well). I also like John Seymour's book Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It. He has an upbeat attitude with a can-do spirit.

Want Hobby Farms (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

This is a top notch magazine that both my wife and I enjoy. It has great articles on gardening, animals, and homesteading in general. There is such a variety of subjects that we can always find something to read and have learned much from the articles. I also love Hobby Farms Home which I was skeptical would just be a scaled down copy of the original Hobby Farms, but there is such a diversity in the articles that both magazines are a must. If you enjoy raising your own vegetables or dream about owning your own goats to make homemade cheese, this is the magazine for you.

Save 50% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment