Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Writer

The Writer"The Writer" is the premier magazine for writers of all varieties. Kalmbach is known for publishing a great series of specialty periodicals, and this one is extremely well written and edited, as is appropriate for the subject matter.

The magazine is best for aspiring writers of fiction, with the clear majority of column inches. Poetry is also covered well, and nonfiction (my area of interest), while covered, is definitely in third place. In the end, though, most techniques for fiction also help nonfiction authors and vice-versa: I read every issue cover to cover regardless of area of concentration because I have gleaned some of the best tips from articles that superficially seemed not to pertain to my writing.

The magazine is very good at covering new developments in the publishing world, and features in-depth reporting on subjects like "Print on Demand" (POD) publishing. Many articles concentrate on in-depth technique implementation, while the utilitarian short pieces that cut through grammatical tedium and stylistic methodologies reinforce the basics.

If you are interested in writing as a professional or just for personal satisfaction, "The Writer" is the magazine for you.

I've been a freelance writer since 1996, and every month I look forward to reading the next issue of The Writer. It's a magazine that shows you how to write better, how to get published, and how to stay inspired. The interviews with top writers are great, and I love the reviews of books about writing. The hour or so I spend reading each issue is among the best time I ever spend. If you're a writer, you should subscribe immediately.

Buy The Writer Now

The Writer is the best of the four magazines on writing I have read over the past couple years. The quality of articles, the focus on the writing craft is superior to others that are available in the market. I look forward to each issue arriving in my mailbox.

Read Best Reviews of The Writer Here

I subscribed to this thinking I'd take a break from Writer's Journal for awhile. Unfortunately, after my first Writer arrived, I found myself going back to re-subscribe to Writer's Journal as well. The Writer had a very nice, long, in-depth interview, but didn't have the technique articles Writer's Journal has. While the Writer had some contest notifications, etc, I felt Writer's Journal had more.

At this review I've only received one Writer, and it is unfair to base the entire magazine off one issue, so I am keeping my subscription for at least the next year.

There were a few things I really liked about the subscription:

1) it came right away--I didn't have to wait for 6 weeks, I think it started coming within the first month after I ordered.

2) It was a large magazine, not one with only 10 pages in it (as I have found when I've ordered magazines via the n et without holding a bound paper copy first).

3) It didn't seem to have the number of advertisements that Writer's Journal is full of.

Want The Writer Discount?

I subscribed to this magazine thinking it would be a good way to keep up with the trends and improve my writing. I found it a bit scary, actually. Most articles are reduced to lists, with few new or in-depth articles. A look at the cover reminds one so much of the cliché women's magazines that scream "10 sure-fire tips to rekindle your romance!" and "25 worst fashion mistakes revealed!"

There is some really useful information here (thus the two stars) but it's (dis)organised in text bites tailored to the attention span of the M-TV generation. This prevents the information from being comprehensive for a beginner (or relative beginner) and most of it would not be useful for anyone with more than moderate experience as a writer.

To sum up, if you are looking for comprehensive writing instruction, get a book (There are many good onesjust check the amazon reviews for which one would suit you) and if you are looking for info that will keep you abreast of what's going on, check the forums, publisher's and editor's blogs, etc... This magazine, unless it admits that it cannot compete with the internet for trendiness and puts its efforts into timeless, well-written pieces dealing with craft (good writing never goes out of style, people), is doomed for fluffy oblivion.

Save 22% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment