Saturday, September 21, 2013

Knit Simple

Knit SimpleI have been knitting for 5 years, and I've tried a number of knit magazines, including Interweave Knits, Knitters, Creative Knitting, and Vogue. I just sent in my renewal for Knit Simple, whereas all the others have fallen by the wayside. It offers excellent variety, clear instructions and photos, a range of skill levels but plenty of projects that a less experienced knitter could tackle. The articles are helpful (such as scaling down projects for petite sizes, scaling up for larger sizes, a discussion of the characteristics of different fibers), and the product and book reviews are concise and informative. They often have groups of projects with a theme, such as vests for the family, and cable sweaters for the family. I knit for my two children and husband, so these family themes are a welcome feature. Plenty of home projects such as afghans and pillows are included as well. Each project includes a close up, actual size, of the yarn used for comparison with substitution yarns, as well as the 1-5 numbered system for universal yarn weight. Each project also is rated on a scale from beginner to advanced. The majority of projects are beginner to intermediate, which I prefer even though I'm more experienced. I have no patience for the intricate, complex patterns found in Interweave (and often Knitters and Vogue as well). The fashions in Knit Simple are not way out there, like in some magazines, but very wearable and classic for the most part. I used to rip the occasional pattern out of those other magazines, recycling the rest, but I have kept all my Knit Simple issues in their entirety.

I get two knitting magazines, this one and Interweave Knits. They seem to arrive at the same time every time, and every time I am struck by how much SIMPLER Interweave Knits is---There is always a far higher ratio of patterns I mark to try in Interweave than Knit Simple. I don't know if the knitting powers that be out there realize how many beginning knitters there really are. What I would love is a magazine that really tackles the basics---perhaps works us through a few great stitch patterns, and puts them in a simple scarf, or shows how to make a basic winter hat. I have tried hard to follow the instructions here for socks---which seem to be the rage to knit right now. They lose me right away. I don't mind if a magazine includes a few harder patterns even if it's called Knit Simple---you have to have something to work for. But most of the time, there are mostly sweater patterns here. I think there are a lot of truly simple things to knit, and a LOT of beginning knitter who would love a magazine that really catered to them.

I do love just looking at the yarn ads, and reading their book reviews, and the knitting essays at the end. But I won't be renewing my subscription.

Buy Knit Simple Now

This magazine always has something I want to make. Many patterns for all levels of knitters, and good book reviews.

Read Best Reviews of Knit Simple Here

Enjoy this magazine...simple patterns to more experienced patterns....I like the knit a longs (KAL) held...just fun to look through, get ideas...nice magazine...would recommend

Want Knit Simple Discount?

I loved this magazine, it gave me so really nice patterns and tons of information. I'm looking forward to renewing the membership!

Save 17% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment