Sunday, September 8, 2013

Outdoor Photographer (1-year auto-renewal)

Outdoor PhotographerOutdoor Photographer is the essential how-to and where-to magazine for the outdoor photographer. I would recommend it for all levels of photographic skill, although most discussions of technique are suited to intermediate to advanced skill levels. There is only occasional discussion of the most basic techniques, as would benefit beginners. There are, however, so many great ideas on where and what to photograph that I think beginners can get a lot out of the magazine as well. And you won't be a beginner for long. The "outdoor" in the title does not refer exclusively to nature photography. Most of the magazine is dedicated to nature photography,but there are frequent articles on travel, location, and other sorts of outdoor photography, as well.

In Outdoor Photographer you will find how-to articles on lighting, exposure, filters, gear, preparing yourself and your gear for the elements -be they arctic cold or rain forest heat and humidity, along with some advice specifically for digital cameras and the digital darkroom. And you will find this information for everything from close-up to landscape photography. Outdoor photographer focuses primarily on 35 mm and digital photography, with an occasional article on medium format. The discussions of exposure, lighting and locations are applicable to all formats of photography, however. And there is George Lepp's monthly question and answer column for those questions on just about any photographic or digital imaging subject that are not answered elsewhere.

And now for the best part. Outdoor Photographer tells you where to get great outdoor photographs. "Favorite Places" is a one-page feature in every issue that tells you about a great place in the United States to photograph, what there is to see, and what time of the year is best. Be sure to save those in case you ever have the time and means to visit them all. In addition to "Favorite Places" there are featured articles in every issue that detail a place to photograph, how to get there, what to take, what to photograph, etc., frequently written by well-known nature photographers and accompanied by some of their terrific photographs. I counted 3 such articles in the last issue of OP that I received. If you are a photographer or hobbiest who is able to travel a lot, Outdoor Photographer is a terrific bargain just for the locations. And if you don't travel much, it will help you photograph your backyard and local parks and gardens well.

I have looked at many photography magazines many of them are just filled with ads....not what an amateur is looking for. I wanted indepth articles, helpful tips and information to help me improve my craft. I found it here. I read every issue cover to cover and back again. I find helpful information in every issue. I highly recommend this magazine even if you aren't purely an "outdoor" photographer.

Buy Outdoor Photographer (1-year auto-renewal) Now

I've been an "Outdoor Photographer" subscriber for many years and have watched the magazine slide steadily downhill. My current subscription expires in December and I won't be renewing for 2010. The latest renewal price from the publisher is $21.97 (a heck of a way to reward loyal subscribers)!

More than most photo mags, OP blurs the line between editorial content and advertising. The lack of objectivity is even more evident in their placement of paid ads -in most cases, directly adjacent to the article that cites the product or service!

Having worked in the publishing industry (trade magazines), I know from experience that the needs of the readers are always secondary to the needs of advertisers, but OP has gone too far. I dropped "Popular Photography" last year for much the same reason. I currently subscribe to "Digital Photo Pro" and "Photoshop User," as well as many photo-related websites and blogs.

Save your money to travel and create new photo opportunities!

Read Best Reviews of Outdoor Photographer (1-year auto-renewal) Here

What a load my subscription ran out and I get a notice from a collection agency threatening me if I didn't pay them for a subscription I didn't renew. This a month after my previous subscription expired. Werner publishing, also the publishers of Digital Photo Pro, PC photo and numerous other useless golf and video rags, seem to think this is the way to build customers. If you're tired of big companies messing with you, don't bother with this magazine. Even if it was free, it is little more than a glossy shill for the advertisers who pay to advertise.

For a fun game, try and find one negative review of a product from an advertiser that has a full page ad in the same issue. Good luck!

Want Outdoor Photographer (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

I let my original subscription run out without renewing, ignoring their numerous requests to sign up for another year. The publisher, Werner Publishing, sent my account to a collection agency, despite the fact that I had not purchased anything, nor said that I would renew the subscription. They sent me a threatening letter saying they were trying to collect a debt, and that "full payment is expected." When I called the agency, they even had a phone menu option for stating that you never renewed the magazine, showing clearly that this is a well-known, standardized process.

This tactic of harassing people and frightening them into coughing up $14.97 for a magazine renewal is unconscionable. They need to be held accountable for using this scare technique as part of their regular business practice. This publisher also publishes such magazines as PC Photo and Digital Photo Pro. At a minimum, they caused me to waste a fair amount of my time correcting the problem.

It's a shame, too, because the magazine is well-written, has great photography, and decent equipmnent reviews. Some outstanding photographers write here. However, their efforts are ruined by their terrible publisher. Do not support these harassment tactics. For a mere $14.97, they've permanently lost a customer, and I hope others as well.

Save 83% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment