Friday, January 31, 2014

Linux Format - Incls Linux Format - DVD

Linux Format - Incls Linux Format - DVDThere are several Linux magazines out there, but this one, Linux Format is probably #1, Linux Pro Magazine is probably #2. However, they are priced ridiculously high...about $150 to $200 per year!!! NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY!!

It is more than about time the Linux FORMAT started offering subscriptions without the DVDs or even better an online .PDF version to lower the costs. Until then, I will stick with the MANY online resources and FREE online magazines out there.

Linux is about freedom and being advanced...being cutting edge and thinking outside the box, yet Linux Format continues to "stay the course" and only offer a subscription with DVD. The magazines pile up, the DVDs never see the light of day (how many distros can you possibly test drive in a year for God's sake???) and your money gets wasted.

As far as I am concerned and as much as I love the writing behind Linux Format, I think the executive people behind it are ripping us all off.

I've been reading Linux Format for a few years now. This magazine is typical of the excellent quality of many magazines published in England about the whole range of subjects. Having said that it's the best on the market, I should qualify that a little, by pointing out that I'm not a Linux developer/guru so I'm coming at it from the viewpoint of the relatively casual intermediate level user. There may be Linux magazines that are better if you're a Linux system administrator, or if you are developing software for Linux.

I enjoy the variety of articles covering various aspects of Linux and the "How-TO" articles as well as reviews of products and software for Linux.

I sure wish it was a bit less pricey, though.

Buy Linux Format - Incls Linux Format - DVD Now

This is, in my view, the best "using Linux" magazine on the market. There's a lot of information in each issue, it's an entertaining read, and the coverage is broad enough that you're likely to learn a fair amount if you read it cover to cover.

The quality is sometimes uneven, though. The "Roundup" feature, in particular, has of late used such narrow review criteria that it feels like looking through a keyhole. The all white male editorial staff that they seem to have settled on can be annoying as well. As others have pointed out, though, the biggest negative to this magazine is the fact that it's only available in paper form with an accompanying DVD and, outside of the UK, an astonishing subscription price. I'd love to keep getting it, but have a hard time justifying to myself a subscription price that's now north of $15 US per issue. When we start talking that kind of money I'd think that I'd rather donate it to open source projects.

Read Best Reviews of Linux Format - Incls Linux Format - DVD Here

I've purchased several Linux magazines over the years and find myself coming back to Linux Format time and again, from the bookstore even, regardless of the the price. But what people I don't think realize is that the magazine is not published in the US. Its published in Britain and is sold primarily there. So when its sold in the states it is, unfortunately, subject to the current exchange rate.

Want Linux Format - Incls Linux Format - DVD Discount?

I agree with others, Best Linux Magazine out there, you will get a lot for you money. But it is a lot of your $$.

No comments:

Post a Comment