Monday, February 17, 2014

Harper's BAZAAR (1-year auto-renewal)

Harper's BAZAARWhen funds were tight I had a difficult time deciding which magazine subscriptions to keep. Each women's magazine has a slightly different feel in the writing, though with increased competition, these styles seem to be in flux. I finally decided that I preferred the writing in Bazaar and was getting tired of what I felt was Vogue's Cosmopolitan attempt to catch a larger readership (if I want to subscribe to Cosmo, I'll bloody well subscribe). The featured designers are more cutting edge and less mainstream than what is found in Vogue. It's a bit snottier (though there are far snottier magazines if you are looking for extreme fashions). Among my complaints: Bazaar is an obviously thinner magazine, and while most of Vogue's content is adverts, it does seem to have more articles. Another item that I find highly irritating, is Bazaar's society items. I really don't give a ---who is wearing what at what charity gala, especially when I don't play footsies with these people. Those complaints aside, this is still my favorite fashion magazine.

... in the U.S. is Harper's Bazaar. You need only check out the recent covers in black and white, featuring Charlize Theron and Demi Moore, to see why this mouthwatering magazine is the high water mark for the best of the best of what's on offer at the supermarket check out stands stateside.

In a market crowded with magazines which look increasingly the same and seem to recycle the identical set of celebrity photos over and over again (snooze), Bazaar has cast an eye on the illustrious typography and design sense of its own past years. The results are evident on every glossy page, with very little of the guilty aftertaste here that you'll surely feel after flipping through the advertising book that is any issue of its bloated, mainstream market competitors.

Are the clothes ridiculously expensive for all but the richest among us? Of course. Do we really care about who showed up at what swanky party in NYC? Probably not. Will we ever look like any of those models? Darlin', you jest! But we do care (admit it) about the fantasy, the luxe, the allure of beautiful clothes on beautiful people -they're lovely to behold, it's only natural, and it's fun -you could do a lot worse than dropping a few bucks on this class act and its peer in the "shelter" magazines group, House and Garden. Another magazine not overstuffed with ads and perfumes and heavy on design sophistication, also highly recommended.

I'm sure she's a perfectly lovely person, but I have to say that the recent spread featuring the Duchess of Cornwall (that'd be Prince Chuck's new wife, Camilla) sitting at her vanity with an iPod in her ear was somewhat less than captivating ... unless you count all of the delicious little Corgis showing off at her feet (and I do) ... I don't understand how this got in, but sometimes these things are random, and she is after all the royal consort. Ho hum. Just a blip on the Bazaar radar.

Excepting things like that, way to go, Bazaar! Show them how it's done!

Buy Harper's BAZAAR (1-year auto-renewal) Now

Harper's is the best if you enjoy high fashion. Yes, most of the items featured are completely unaffordable for the average person. However, by looking at the featured designer items and the gorgeous photo layouts, you can get an idea of what's fashionable or will be fashionable in about 2 months. If you want to stay ahead of the trends, this is a must-have.

Read Best Reviews of Harper's BAZAAR (1-year auto-renewal) Here

I guess I'm too old for this magazine now. It was so much better in the late 70s to mid 80s. Now it's too celebrity oriented, and many of the models are too thin and alien-looking--and too young. Back in the day, I enjoyed looking at the hair and makeup on the cover model, whose name I might know, but I didn't know her backstory, because she was not an overexposed celebrity. I don't have any of the old Bazaars to compare with the new, but I can sense that something is off about the design layout--too busy? too jarring? It used to be a pleasant distraction from everyday life; I used to look at this magazine over and over. I wish I had saved every old copy.

Would it be too expensive to do a retro version of this mag for us older women? I'm still thin, I work out, I love to dress fashionably and try new products--and I have money. I'm not 20 any more, but I'm far from frumpy, so don't dismiss this market too quickly, publishers. The magazines out there for mature women are condescending and do not appeal to those of us who still have a young body and, more important, a young mind. Also, they're full of pharmaceutical ads, which I hate. I do not want to be reminded of troubles when I am being entertained by my magazines.

I gave it a chance, then I canceled my subscription.

Want Harper's BAZAAR (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

"Harper's Bazaar" has been running a losing race with "Vogue" for the past 40 years. The magazine should play to its strengths. Its graphics and photo layouts are terrific. However, the articles are insipid and superficial; not worth a read. "Bazaar" unfortunately went downhill when Liz Tilberis took over the top spot; in the 60s and 70s the look was all about elegance and glamour. Ms. Tilberis stated in an editorial in the 90's that fashion was all about "youth and ectomorphism" and featured human Barbie dolls in grunge outfits. Okay, it looked funny, but what woman over 25 would spend good money to look like that? The impression one gets from reading "Bazaar" now is that it's still trying to find its target audience. When "Bazaar" stops acting as if it were afraid to compete with Vogue and emphasizes its strengths, it will be a much better magazine.

Save 75% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment