Saturday, March 1, 2014

Tls : the Times Literary Supplement

Tls : the Times Literary SupplementA very good book review journal with a much different take than the New York Review of Books (also excellent)and I particularly like have that difference in viewpoint not only from a cultural and geographical perspective but because the educational systems emphasize different things and I enjoy benefiting form that added value.

It seems almost sacriligeous to find fault with the TLS which for many is a kind of book-review Bible. But when compared to other bookreview venues including the NY Times Bookreview and the NY Review of Books, I find it somehow chauvinistically British and narrowly focused. I also must admit to not liking the skimpy look of the journal.

I base my remarks here not on one reading of one journal but on my general feeling after going through many many different editions of TLS over many years.

Now I should qualify this by saying that there are of course many many outstanding reviews of outstanding books, and outstanding roundup surveys on special feature reviews. However when it comes to areas in which I have a degree of specialization, I usually find the taste of the reviewer so wide of mine that I end the reading with unease and dissatisfaction.

Buy Tls : the Times Literary Supplement Now

No comments:

Post a Comment