Monday, April 14, 2014

Baseball Digest (1-year auto-renewal)

Baseball DigestThis magazine was a gift for my grandson, who really loves baseball! He received his first issue recently and told me he read it from cover to cover! Glad I ordered it for him.

This every-other-month magazine for the adult baseball purist who quivers for Spring Training to begin each year. The pages, printed on newspaper stock with limited black-and-white photos may not look too engaging, but the magazine has full statistics, opinions, lists, previews, prospects, etc. that allow the reader to keep tabs on players on all teams in both leagues. But my favorite parts are the oddities not obtainable in any other sports publication covering baseball. Idiosyncratic to a T, its editors don't toe the MLB line and you'll read anything from an independent piece on how the writers think the game can be improved to a proposal on revising how Elias Sports Bureau calculates some of its statistics. Every issue is laced with debatable topics for die-hard baseball fans without casting aspersions, like Mar/Apr's 2011 issue with a short list of the ten instances in which a player hit more home runs than first-base hits in a single season (Mark McGwire 5 times, Jose Bautista and Barry Bonds twice each) without explanation--even a mention of steroids. (And why Carlos Pena and Dave Kingman were on the list at all!?!) In the same 58-page issue, Rich Marazzi (rules consultant for 4 teams) details some of the weirdest plays of 2010 in a "Baseball Rules Corner," citing Alex Rios' "inside-the-jersey single" off 3B Brooks Conrad, the three-ball Xavier Paul walk issued by sleepy umpire Bruce Dreckman, and many more complicated fielding/running situations. While much of the writing is dry and sticks to the bare facts (rather than offering celebrity, psychological pieces on individual ballplayers), it is a table of dessert for the salivating, knowledgeable baseball fan. I guarantee that you won't find lists of "Most Runs Scored Before 35th Birthday, 1876-2010" or "Teams with Two Pitchers with 20 Saves Apiece" anywhere else. Or a detailed compendium of yearly deaths in the baseball world called "Necrology." On a different level, "Baseball Digest" is a fantastic resource for the fan (including an older kid) who wants all the teams' baseball stats and complete schedules, with info on rookies, etc. When I get each issue, I'm continually impressed with both what I've come to expect as well as the novel lists and articles that knock my socks off as I read each page!

Buy Baseball Digest (1-year auto-renewal) Now

This subscription is a renewal from last year for my 11 year old grandson. He is very active in sports, especially baseball. He says he loves the magazine and has every issue from last year so I renewed again just a few weeks ago. I am very pleased he is so involved in the magazine. He is an avid reader. I am not quite so pleased with the price. It is only 5 to 6 magazines per year for close to $40.

Read Best Reviews of Baseball Digest (1-year auto-renewal) Here

This magazine was never received & when I've inquired about it, all I get is a response asking if I want to cancel. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Want Baseball Digest (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

No comments:

Post a Comment