Thursday, April 10, 2014

Threads

ThreadsThis is a quality magazine with a knowledgable staff. I have never been disappointed with an issue--each one has helpful tips that are explained in detail with examples, good graphical representation, and procedures. A while ago my father-in-law asked me how sewing machines worked, how the threads could connect to work at all, and lo and behold, the next issue of "Threads" explained that very concept in an easy-to-understand way. I like how this magazine covers so many different topics. For example, recent issues covered such items as choosing the proper sewing machine needle for your project, how to use the different feet that come with sewing machines, how to make the perfect button hole, which hems for which garment/fabric type. Some sewing magazines just focus on the fads, spending so much time on one subject (like machine embriodery--which would be helpful if I had one!) that those of us relatively new to sewing don't get the real tips and tricks that any sewer needs to create a quality garment or other project. Recommended.

I used to dream about subscribing to Threads and drool over them in the library, but the new format beginning in Fall 2005 is disappointing. They have added many more articles of interest to very new sewers such as how to choose the correct needle for a fabric. This basic info is readily available in many basic sewing books and it is not why I renewed to Threads for another 3 years. This magazine once showed cutting edge techniques and lots of projects that intermediate and advanced sewers could savor. As a beginning sewer I used to dream about conquering the exciting projects in Threads. Now, they have watered it down to appeal to less skilled people at the expense of the projects and information that made it stand out from other sewing magazines. This is still a "good" magazine, but no longer excellent. I wish that I could get back my money for the next 3 years and spend it on fabric.

Buy Threads Now

I have always enjoyed every issue of Threads in the past. The new format / contents does not appeal to me. Threads is now a beginner sewing magazine like many others on the market. Thread's was once a great magazine, the only one on the market for the intermediate and advanced sewers. The projects were wonderful and I and other's I know kept every single issue. Not now, there isn't really much in Thread's for the wearable art/advanced sewer. I will really miss the couture finishing techniqes and other articles with new ideas. These articles were much more detailed than any book. Because of this detail a sewer with some experience could use these articles to become an advanced sewer more quickly than buying many books. I only gave the 2 star's because it is a nice beginner magazine. If you are new to sewing this is a good magazine, but the more advanced sewer's should pass this one up.

Read Best Reviews of Threads Here

I have been sewing for 30 years. I started when I was only eight years old. I thought I knew how to sew. I would see garments in shows and wonder how some people could do such a beautiful job. I finally found the answer! This magazine covers so many topics to really sharpen sewing skills and make projects have that extra special touch. The articals are interesting and the instuctions are clear. Even the ads are helpful to find the hard to get items. I would highly recomend this magazine to anyone that sews.

Want Threads Discount?

I simply love this magazine. Over the years as I have taken on a sewing project. The odd class play costume, pair of curtains or the shirt I wanted. This Magaizine has always had the best explainations of sewing instructions, plus pictures to go along.

I have enjoyed their insightful discussions of fabrics as well as all the latest "news" from the wide world of garment making. I apperciate that they are not devoted to making holiday crafts! The world does not need another set of fluff instructions.

I look foward to the beautiful back page of historical fabric as well every month.

Its the only magazine of which I have ever collected an entire set of back issues. These I consider a bit of a "Sewing Safty Net" They are worth their weight in gold.

Some day maybe I'll buy the issues binders.

Save 21% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment