Saturday, June 21, 2014

Out's Advocate Edition (1-year auto-renewal)

Out's Advocate EditionI normally purchase this magazine when I'm in a coffee shop or trying to pass the time, it's great having it sent to me every month. I can stay up on issues and media coverage in gay culture. Love this magazine.

Seriously, all of the Advocate products like this Out Magazine are terrible. I find myself flipping through the pages and trying hard to find something that is well written and interesting to read. I mean the pictures are briefly nice to look at, but I'm not spending this kind of money to see pictures of pretty guys that I can easily see online for free. This isn't the 1950's or 1960's when access to gay literature was so hard to come by that you needed to get a subscription to an overpriced lgbt magazine to read about your community. Yet, the creators of this product have not stepped up the quality of their writing and the quality of their work. I can find better quality reporting about issues that matter to the lgbt community from the Huffington Post or Mother Jones. Overall, for this price, I would not waste my money. As a matter of fact, I cancelled my subscription for all the Advocate products I tried to read. Gave up after a few months. It's just a waste of money. The magazine needs to be sold and placed under new management because they are producing poor quality material for a readership that can find better quality material for free online or at other magazines that actually treat the issues seriously and not like every member of the lgbt community is a freshly out, unsophisticated neophyte to the gay world. There are intelligent, responsible gay men, women, and families out there who want to read a serious magazine about our community and don't have time for this teenage nonsense.

Buy Out's Advocate Edition (1-year auto-renewal) Now

I am going to be so glad when this magazine finally stops coming. It actually annoys me to read it these days for a magazine that tries to represent the gay community, it is shocking how incredibly narrow and one dimensional it is. 99% of the magazine is focused on a specific type of homosexual a fashion/entertainment focused New York gay male.

Just look through their top 100 lists you'll be hard pressed to find one "powerful" gay person who isn't doing acting, fashion, or art. I live in San Francisco and can say confidently that quite a few gay men and women are shaking up the tech space (Tim Cook anyone?). Reading OUT magazine, however, you'd think that gays are a special species that are only good at interior design and picking out haute couture. I worry about young gay kids reading this and thinking that this is what defines us as a community.

If you're a gay guy with diverse interests, I'd highly recommend DNA magazine instead. They are based in Australia but somehow manage to be much more relevant and interesting to someone like me. They have a lot of fitness/outdoors focused articles, travel writing, and they also have unbelievably hot photoshoots. Why would anyone read out when this is an alternative?

Read Best Reviews of Out's Advocate Edition (1-year auto-renewal) Here

Geared to the gay community, OUT is a glossy magazine designed to appeal to individuals who find PEOPLE too deep.

The magazine is advertising heavy, and not surprisingly the advertising in question tends to be fashion-and-style oriented. The articles follow suit. This might not be a bad thing but for the fact that it is all 1980-ish clone in nature: guys in tight pants and open jackets, snippets of exercise advice, hair-style how-to, and tiresome underwear models. There is the occasional celebrity piece and the occasional nod to lesbians. When all is said and done, OUT has all the depth of a pancake--the sort of thing you flip through once and then throw away. Yawn.

GFT, Amazon Reviewer

Want Out's Advocate Edition (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

If you enjoy gay news, fashion, gossip and reviews than order the OUT/Advocate Combo. I've been a reader for years of both publications and they both get better and better each year.

-dop

Save 50% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment