Sunday, October 12, 2014

Interweave Knits

Interweave KnitsI subscribed to this magazine one year ago. Out of the four issues I've received this year, I've knitted at least one project idea from each issue, and three so far from the fall issue alone (!) and each has turned out beautifully.

I haven't read any other knitting magazines that appeal to me as consistently as this one. I've noticed that each issue has a careful balance of projects, appealing to both genders and to all levels of knitting expertise.

Each issue contains a few "gee-whiz!" type articles in the front with interesting, exotic and sometimes downright weird news about the knitting world (like, who knew that knitting could be considered performance art?).

There's usually an exotic "catch-the-eye" or cutting-edge fashion project, followed by other apparel projects that are always beautiful, visually appealing and frequently wearable, too! Although the magazine does occasionally include items that make me shake my head in disbelief, Interweave Knits generally seems to select projects that real humans can wear without looking like freaks.

You'll also find a couple of ideas for non-apparel and/or "quick gift"-type projects in each issue, ranging from felted backpacks and novelty purses to baby hats.

Now, if all this sounds good, just wait: it gets better. The real clincher for me is that the patterns seem to have been tested and carefully proof-read BEFORE going to press. I've worked 7 projects from IWK this year, and have yet to catch a single mistake in pattern directions! Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but I noticed on the IWK website that the list of errata is amazingly short...so either they don't update errata onto their website, or they really don't allow a lot of mistakes to slip through.

In short, I think "Interweave Knits" provides a lot of bang for your subscription bucks. Two thumbs up from me!

This magazine possesses very aesthetically pleasing design and patterns. I have only been knitting for less than a year, yet I made my first sweater from a pattern from this magazine. The directions are accurate and straightforward.

The only frusterating thing about this magazine is most of the patterns showcase an advanced skill level...

Buy Interweave Knits Now

I think this is becoming my favorite knitting magazine. Though not as thick as "Knitters", the articles in Interweave Knits are interesting and useful. The editors often take one project, sometimes a small one like hats or mittens, and knit it in many variations. This was also the first magazine in the US to publish patterns by Vivian Hoxbro (Domino Knits) and got everyone going on this addictive form of modular knitting.

Read Best Reviews of Interweave Knits Here

Nowadays a magazine can easily rival a book in cost. So how come they are still in business? In the case of "Interweave Knits" published four times a year by Interweave Press, it is not hard to figure out. Innovative artists, useful articles, intriguing ads.

The magazine is more of a trade magazine for the Knitting culture. Yes there are some really weird designs in this magazine. Yet there are also some traditional, in style and color. You can not help but find your project in every issue. The projects come with complete instructions and diagrams.

I personally like the ads for different tools as ball winders, and yarns. It is interesting what you can learn from them alone.

Still the magazine goes deeper with excerpts from the latest books and other sources.

Knitted Lace of Estonia: Techniques, Patterns, and Traditions

Want Interweave Knits Discount?

Many patterns covering all types of fashion. I love to knit but the more interesting patterns and textured yarns are pricey. This magazine uses a wide variety of yarns, mostly high end. Some projects from the winter 2002 issue run $$$/ball. They also have a very comprehensive list of vendors. Over all love the magazine and my only complaint stems from my own pocketbook because the end result are worth the expense.

Save 11% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment