Thursday, October 30, 2014

Seventeen (1-year auto-renewal)

SeventeenI decided to get this for my daughter who is twelve after reading reviews from other customers saying it was pretty much fashion, hair, and makeup because there are so few options for a tween girl. She has outgrown the American Girl magazines at this point and wanted something a little more mature, but I didn't expect it to be so mature!

I had this magazine as a teen and really liked it. For the most part, the reviews were right. My daughter looks at the hair styles and clothes and might read an article or two, but one thing has really changed! Luckily I looked through the magazine before I gave it to her because there were all kinds of questions about sex in one article. The questions consisted of where to find the "g-spot" and if you were still a virgin after anal sex! That definitely wasn't in there when I once read this magazine.

I understand it's called Seventeen for a reason, but I just wish someone had informed me of the sexual nature some of the articles may have before I ordered it. So,I now just go through the magazines before she sees them and tear out anything she shouldn't be reading. She gets the censored version.

I think that Seventeen is an excellent magazine for teenagers. The health section is great, fashion tips are fabulous, and anything that happens to be about sex is informative.

Sex Articles: Come on people, if you want to keep your daughters away from this stuff they might as well live in a convent. Your daughters are going to know way more than you think and better they hear it from some place that gives them the truth and not from a friend who means well but just doesn't know anything. Sure, there is nothing that says "DON'T HAVE SEX" but it gives girls what they need to hear and then your parenting will decide when and what they do.

Health: These days there isn't a girl around who doesn't want to be stick thin. It isn't their fault, it's the media. The good thing about Seventeen is that it shows girls instead of how to loose weight, how to be healthy. They have great food ideas, exersize plans and an over all healthy attitude towards weight loss and body image.

Fashion: Seventeen has one of the best fashion sections out of all of the teen magazines. Yeah, it is fun to see the occasional Chanel or Marc Jacobs outfit in a magazine but not when it plasters the pages. Seventeen suggests affordable outfit ideas from drop-dead-gorgeous sling backs to don't-you-wish-you-knew-me jeans. Their "Splurge" outfits are just the right amount of occasional fantasy.

Fun: They've got their share of cutesy quizzes and embarrassing stories because they realize that teens aren't adults and they still need a little childish fun. There are decoration tips, organization advice and some of the best stress reliever ideas I've ever seen.

Note: They do have a regular article called "17 Real Life" which is usually okay with the occasional disturbing story. However, they do have a "17 Warning" on the bad ones and you could simply request that your daughter, if she's young, not read those. I highly suggest this magazine.

To those who say that this magazine is mindless and turns your daughters into airheads I suggest you hear me out. Nothing turns your daughter into an "airhead." Perhaps an unhealthy dose of magazine reading and web surfing will make them slightly superfical but it is just a phase and will pass guaranteed. However, a monthly fashion magazine does not melt the brain nor fry brain cells. In fact, it probably does more good than it does damage.

Juliet

Buy Seventeen (1-year auto-renewal) Now

I've been getting this magazine since before I was 17. I was at my grandmother's house for some holiday, and my cousin was flipping through old issues of Seventeen. I decided that I wanted a subscription that day, and I've been getting them since, saving every single issue (or trying!), and loving that I always get at least one piece of mail a month. Now I am 21, and I can't make myself quit my Seventeen. I don't really know why. I just personally love the magazine, and, sure, there are some issues where I don't read as much as I wish I could. But I probably will continue Seventeen for a lot longer. If anything, it is a nice trip down memory lane to look in an old Seventeen (from 1995) and read about old movies, old stars and old clothes. Almost like reading an old yearbook.

For any teen wanting a great magazine, I would definately recommend this one. It is fun, helpful and addicting.

Read Best Reviews of Seventeen (1-year auto-renewal) Here

In my opinion, Seventeen is the best magazine for teen girls. I've been reading it on-and-off for four years now, but only recently began to read it again. It's not some childish, boy obsessed, teenybopper magazine. There are some great, monthly articles, like "When I Was 17," "Solve My Problem," "My Life," "Traumarama" and of course, horoscopes, entertainment, fashion, beauty and more. The true-life stories they feature are really interesting, also. They recently did an intriguing article about emotional abuse.

A couple years ago, I would've said that Cosmo Girl was the best magazine for teenagers. Unfortunately, it's gone downhill and has little substance left. If you want an interesting, fun and informative teen magazine, look no further than Seventeen. After all, it's been out for nearly sixty years. They're clearly doing something right!

Want Seventeen (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

I was intrigued by the magazine's statement that they are trying to help teens "make peace with their bodies" and not be so obsessed with their appearance. Then I read the covers of the 10 or so magazines sampled. Paleeeeeeease!

"How to get a great butt" "how to have perfect skin" "how to get a great body" 95% of the cover headlines were about meeting the beaty ideal. Oh, yeah, there was the headline about how to "flirt the right way" and how to be a random hot guy's "regular hook up." I guess those are the more substantive articles.

It's amazing how the magazine has made such strides since when I was a teen.

Save 67% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment