Saturday, November 29, 2014

Ms

MsI have noticed that Amazon.com charges more for magazines than if bought directly from the publisher. Amazon outrageously priced Ms. nearly DOUBLE what it costs if bought directly from msmagazine.com. Go directly to Ms. for a $25 yearly subscription.

There is certainly not a lack of interest on such important issues such as those mentioned in Ms. magazine because these issues affect all women all over the world. Whether it is on women's right for abortion, sex discrimination, exploitation of women and children, family and health acts or historical events on the women's movement (which I believe should really be corrected to mean a movement for all humanity because IT IS), Ms. magazine delivers the information that so many young women are lacking today in their social surroundings no matter if they be the suburbs or the slums.

I thank my literature professors who have taught me the wonderful female figures in literature that have proved women have power and deserve everyone's respect.

Imagine my utter shock when I came to a bookstore of considerable commercial success only to find Ms. magazine nowhere near the Women's Interest International section (which was instead completely packed with fashion and wieght loss magazines, I mean honestly, to give women this type of monotonous literary diet and then wonder why some of them are a bit flaky...) but rather in the Gay and Lesbian section. There is nothing wrong with this section, but I had no idea that one's sexual orientation had to fit this category for the bookstore to assume one had an interest in women's issues outside of makeup and shoes.

Practically livid to the point that I was shuddering a bit, I even moved a couple of the Ms.'s over to the women's interest section.

The store rep said that usually people who read Ms. tend to go towards the "ethnic and culture" section ( a section that Ms. was supposed to be in, but hmm...appeared to have been smack dab in the middle of gay and lesbian instead). I promptly told him, hey I"M A WOMAN, I HAVE INTERESTS OTHER THAN CLOTHES AND WHEN I CAME TO FIND MS. MAGAZINE I WENT TOWARDS WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD (SHOULD) BE THE APPROPRIATE SECTION--Women's Interest!

The next time you guys come into a store, show your support for Ms. mag. Look to see if the store even carries it and if they don't ask them why not and that you would love to see it on their shelves. If they do carry it, note where it is in relations to the Women's section, applaud them for their "astounding" assumption that Ms. should be relegated to a corner if that happens to be the case and tell the manager that you'd like to see if reach the bigger market of WOMEN IN GENERAL!!!!

Buy Ms Now

As a long time reader of this magazine I've noticed that, with the purchase of Ms. Magazine by the Feminist Majority, it's on the rise again! You get everything from current events to To-Do lists to book reviews. It is a must read for every feminist out there! Don't trust me? Read it for yourself.

Read Best Reviews of Ms Here

The very first issue of this magazine I read was their tenth anniversary issue from 1982, an issue my mother put away in my bottom drawer so I could read it when I was old enough. Looking back at that issue, which in turn looks back at older issues, and then looking at the issues since, it's dizzying to realise how far women have come in such a short period of time, and yet how far we still have to go before achieving full equality, rights, and representation. It's also downright scary to read some of these articles and updates about situations around the world and even in the United States itself; in many ways women in the U.S., as far as we still have to go, are far more fortunate than our sisters in places like Africa, Asia, the Mideast, and smaller towns in America. At the same time, such articles are not without hope, as they bring us the stories of women who are actively involved in making a difference in these other nations and smaller, more restricted, regions of America. I'm also glad that they no longer have ads in the magazine, and that they continue to run the "No Comment" segment on the back page, showcasing particularly shocking examples of sexist and misogynistic advertisements.

However, as other readers have noticed, this magazine can be too scholarly for some readers. While it's great to read these thoughtful in-depth articles about womens' struggles in other places around the world, sometimes you just want a change of pace and want something that's a little more lightweight, not so intensive in scope. People need to see that feminists aren't always so serious! I also agree that the magazine still has some way to go to reaching out to women of my generation and the younger generation (the tail end of Generation X and the older members of Generation Y), making these issues relevant to the third wave so that they won't dismiss the movement out of hand as being out of touch and outdated. Still, this is a great magazine, and I prefer it any day over something like Cosmo or YM.

Want Ms Discount?

Ms. is the most important women's magazine out there because it's about women as a whole, and not just diets and makeup and how to please a man. It's national and global news and spreads awareness without ever talking down to the reader. You may not always agree with it (I take particular offense at a 1993 cover story perpetuating the ritual abuse scare ... and the fact that it seemed like every woman who wrote in had been a victim of ritual abuse, a statistical impossibility) but Ms. encourages dialogue and feedback. I find it unfortunate that a reviewer of this magazine had a bad experience with the editor-in-chief and I hope she wrote back and demanded an apology for being rudely dismissed. You'll want to hold onto your issues long after you've thrown away those issues of "Jane." It's that worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment