Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Atomic Ranch

Atomic RanchI was very excited to subscribe to this magazine through the convenience of Amazon. Because I wouldn't get my first issue till the fall, I went to Borders and got the summer issue. To my absolute SHOCK, the subscription card from the magazine said "one year only $19.99" (over a $14 difference than Amazon). You can not cancel a subscription with Amazon, and they have not responded to my complaints of the pricing difference. It's a great magazine, but go to your local book store. It's going to be a while before I order anything from Amazon again!

Ever since I saw "Atomic Ranch" in a bookstore, I knew I would be a long-term subscriber. The magazine is devoted to ranch homes built during the cold war (roughly the 1950s to 1970s) that were considered cool when they were built, and have been updated in unique and beautiful ways since then.

The first word that comes to mind when leafing through this magazine is "retro," and for good reason. The magazine explores the glory of a once-fading architectural form and brings it up to date with contemporary alterations, which in many cases go back to the roots of the house, undoing years of ill-advised "improvements" (especially notorious in the 1980s.) Fortunately the magazine is geographically diverse, exploring homes far from the coasts in places like Chicago, Charlotte, and Baton Rouge.

For once I am happy to read all the advertisements, normally the bane of a magazine. Here, though, the ads are for fun and cool products and are frequently as interesting as the articles.

I recommend "Atomic Ranch" with my highest possible endorsement: lovers of modern architecture and style trends will want to read every page of every issue like I do.

Buy Atomic Ranch Now

Having submitted my order in May 2005, and getting my first issue in late July, I was somewhat irked when I also noticed the subscription price difference.

That aside, it's really an interesting magazine.

Please don't think it's for everyone, however. Unlike other publications that look at the archecture elements or design elements, I believe this is for folks interested in preserving a shrine to the '50s and '60s life-style. It is innocuous enough to use that weird green and pink, together, to make some sort of statement I suppose -but I didn't like it when it was "trendy." The boomerang accent tables are a wonderful comparison for the difference between "mod" and "modern" and why alot of folks wouldn't want to get too far back into that "mod" thing.

Overall, pretty good. Just don't get stung on the subscription price.

Read Best Reviews of Atomic Ranch Here

I liked the magazine, being an owner in a neighborhood that 2 consecutive issues featured homes from was interesting, however, they did not fulfill our subscription, and when we brought this up to them via email they blamed us and the post office for not receiving it, they sent them out 2 months prior to us moving here, but they blamed us for not providing a new address, even though we had only been here 2 weeks when we contacted them. very rude and they never not once said, 'let us check our records", just a "we won't send another" end of chat. Very brassy for a start-up magazine. I am done with them

Want Atomic Ranch Discount?

I have had great customer service with this magazine and have loved getting every issue and reading it from cover to cover. When I called to subscribe to Atomic Ranch one of its employees even asked me questions regarding my own ranch home and suggested that I send pictures in for someone in their staff to review. I strongly recommend this magazine to anyone who loves mid-century modern homes and decor.

Save 16% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment