Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Crochet Today! (1-year auto-renewal)

Crochet Today!I got a subscription to this magazine as a gift. I have already received 6 issues and I have not been disappointed with any. Every issue has helpful tips, and a wonderful variety of projects that are well written, and illustrated. The yarn choices used for the projects are very easy to find, and are usually quite economical. One of my favorite features of this magazine is a quick reference in the back of every issue that covers basic stitches, and yarn substitutions (by both type of yarn, and brand). I have purchased several other crochet magazines, and this one is by far the best.

I am really surprised at the great reviews for this magazine. I'm a relatively new crocheter (I can read a pattern, I know all the basic stitches, can figure out the more complex ones, and I know how to check my gauge and adjust accordingly) and I don't think Crochet Today works for beginners at all. My main complaint is corrections. EVERY issue has one or more--usually more--patterns that have problems in it. Extra rows left off, too few stitches to begin the item, too many stitches to begin the item, incomplete rows, and other problems that a newbie wouldn't know how to fix. There are so many corrections that Crochet Today has a special "corrections" tab on its website. As a beginner, rarely will it occur to me that the problems in the item are due to a faulty pattern... of course I think that I must have done something wrong. This is maddening. Count my stitches, check the pattern, count my stitches again, check the pattern again, pull out the row and do it again, see what I can do, pull out that row too...

What really irks me is this: I understand the occasional error (and by "occasional" I mean one or two A YEAR) but I can't figure out why there are so many errors in this particular publication. It would be different if this were a general interest magazine or maybe a craft magazine not dedicated to knitting and crocheting. But this magazine is called CROCHET TODAY. All they do is print crochet patterns. You'd think there would be a crew of people testing to make sure that each pattern works the way it should. I mean, IT'S A CROCHET PATTERN BOOK! I've never gotten an issue of Vegetarian Times--which prints vegetarian recipes almost exclusively--where there was a corrections page that said, "Oopsie! You know that chocolate pie recipe we printed last month? We told you to use 4 oz. of bittersweet chocolate. Well what we meant to say was 8 oz. But we're guessing you figured that out since your finished pie probably tasted like crap."

That being said, the patterns are beautiful and fairly easy to read. They are graded beginner, easy, intermediate and expert and those gradings seem to be accurate. And like some other reviewers said, it has a handy stitch guide and pattern reading decoder (no decoder ring required), along with an index with both name and picture in the back of the book. I've made a couple of things that turned out as lovely as can be expected from a novice and I've attempted ones with enough errors to make me want to stab myself with my crochet hook.

RECOMMENDED FOR INTERMEDIATE TO EXPERT CROCHETERS ONLY.

Buy Crochet Today! (1-year auto-renewal) Now

Good magazine so far. I am actually thinking of getting a subscription. The patterns are not so far out there like Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting lately. The patterns seem to be for real people and have easy to find yarns. Good mix of good yarns and cheaper ones.

You can go to their website and preview all patterns from that issue too.

Read Best Reviews of Crochet Today! (1-year auto-renewal) Here

There is a nice variety of patterns and most aren't too difficult to crochet. There is usually at least one pretty wearable to crochet in each issue. Many items can be finished in an evening or weekend and they are fairly modern or "freshened up" patterns of old favorites.

Want Crochet Today! (1-year auto-renewal) Discount?

I have utilized and previewed MANY crochet magazines. As an avid crocheter for more than 8 years and a crochet teacher for 3, I can wholeheartedly recommend this magazine to experienced and beginner crocheters alike. There is usually at least one pattern that I will do out of each magazine. this is actually a pretty good deal, because single patterns typically cost about $5.00 to $6.00 per pattern, so $8.00 $12.00 for a year's subscription is a steal!

The patterns, most importantly, are modern and timely. This magazine does a good job of making crochet accessible to a wide audience. Some other magazines only do patterns with very high end, very expensive yarn. It is hard, as a beginner, to know what an appropriate yarn substitution is. With Crochet Today, you won't need a yarn substitution! Not only do the editors/designers choose reasonably priced and widely available yarns (most of which can be purchased at Michael's or Joanne's) they even show you swatches of what the pattern will look like in another color.

Advanced crocheters, like myself, will probably not want to rely on this magazine as their sole source of patterns. Interweave crochet is an outstanding companion to this magazine and allows your inner artist to really come out.

I do highly recommend this magazine, and I highly recommend getting a subscription, it is a huge savings off the "in-store" price and amazon.com has UNBEATABLE subscription prices to this particular magazine!

Save 52% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment