Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Photography Monthly

Photography MonthlyI came across this gorgeous,informative mag from the UK a few months ago,and now read it almost exclusively. There are other photo-related mags that are very wonderful,but some of them are for those photographers who can afford the whole Photoshop shebang.And those mags are dedicated to Photoshop techniques and such that I will never be able to get near because of the price.However,this mag,although it references Photoshop,concentrates on other facets of photography that are within grasp of a plebe such as I.

The magazine is beautifully presented.And not a ton of ads in the middle of articles,which I find annoying.My favorite segment is"Judgment," wherein two professional photographers critique,strongly and sometimes bluntly,the photos by amateurs which were chosen for the monthly column.I have learned much from these critiques,and in fact,have actually thought the same things the critics did before I read their judgments. That's worth gold to me.The price is pretty high,but if you are at all interested in becoming a great photographer,this is the magazine for you.I keep all of my issues for reference,and to enjoy the beauty of the photographs over and over.

I have a subscription to Popular Photography and get a few other magazines every once in a while but Photography Monthly is by FAR the best one out of the bunch! I have to go downtown to get this magazine but I will make excuses a couple times a month just to go see if its at the bookstore!

This magazine doesn't have the 30-40 pages of garbage adds at the end, its nice and BIG with full color spreads of photo's... good how-to's with photoshop, good reviews on lenses... even non-canon/nikon lenses (hard to find in Pop Photo)... an all around AWESOME magazine! HIGHLY recommend!

Buy Photography Monthly Now

What I like so much in that magazine is that there are more articles than ads and more technical information than commercial and marketing biased semi-true statements. Excellent photographic suggestions, very attractive writing. A very welcome difference to those US magazines full of ads, marketing, paid articles and biased reviews

Read Best Reviews of Photography Monthly Here

Nice magazine, but you can subscribe for half the Amazon price if you go to their web site.

Want Photography Monthly Discount?

I regularly peruse the photo magazines at my local Books-a-Million. I recently saw this magazine appear among the usual host of magazines, and, being an Anglophile, thought I would give it a try. I must first mention the absence of such large quantities of advertising as to render the articles well-concealed and almost superfluous, a characteristic of all American photo magazines. Secondly, the photos presented in this magazine seem far more nuanced and less perfunctory than what I am accustomed to in the mainstream American magazines. Please, spare me one more "western desert sunset through an arch of rock with Fuji Velvia" photo! I particularly like the monthly "Judgement" feature where two photographers, Cheung and Scorey, dissect, frequently with humor and without mercy, photographs submitted by readers. I learn from this! Expensive, but eminently worth every cent/ shilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment